Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Weekend of Freedom

A weekend of freedom.

So the past weekend I rented a car.

Friday I was able to buy groceries and explore the city a bit. My ignorance showed when it turned out KC has quite jazz history. The jazz district has the real deal, and not so white like the college jazz scene we have around Portland. In another area was a twin piano bar, kind of on the seedy side, but with great musicians who played that old kind of rock'n'roll. Oh yeah, and I managed to drive by 12th and Vine which is mentioned in that old song, "Kansas City here I come."

Saturday, having had enough of city life for the weekend, I set out for Jamesport, which is an Amish and Mennonite community in Missouri to the North past Lathrop. On the way, I saw a cemetary, which I enjoy taking photos of especially when decorated by bare trees and winter snow. I barely even need to use the black and white feature on my camera.

Finally arriving in Jameport, I kind of expected the place to look like the video for Weird Al's Amish Paradise, but instead there was mostly cars and old towny buildings. There were a few horse and carriages, just enough to block the road. While I do appreciate their simple farm life, I still had to get going so I'd pass them. And there were a few bearded guys and ladies in properly modest dresses amongst the whole thing although I was wondering if they were just costumes for the tourist trap. I had to find something good though. One shop had frozen custard, which I'm a sucker for. At another place I got Amish-made plum butter, which I'd have to say is quite delich. Although I made my way down rough roads to see a cheese shop, which was just a tiny place with expensive cheese, although made right from the farm, which is pretty cool. I guess lots of driving is just a part of life around here. After looking at a book, quilt, and furniture store and reading up on the Amish ways, I turned back, a bit dissappointed with the whole thing. But then the drive back turned out decent. Got pics of the frozen Grand River, and saw a good sunset.

Came back that night to see some of the Awakening meeting, where they had testimonies a students from Asbury College. Then they prayed for college campuses and students. I can remember back when I went to community college when I had a vision for that sort of thing. We'd meet in little prayer groups and have worship services. I had some trouble praying along, because I felt like I've gone through all this years ago. But hey things have changed for the better in many ways, as far as ministry goes. I certainly don't want to let my cynicism affect their faith and energy. And I certainly don't want to be like those in Jesus' hometown who just couldn't get it when He was ministering right there. Hey, maybe if I hang around long enough their faith and energy might just rub off on me.





No comments:

Post a Comment