Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Sunday in Kansas


Okay, so one thing that confuses people back home is Kansas City's whole thing with Kansas/Missouri. Are you going to Kansas or Missouri? Okay, think for a moment that Vancouver is part of Portland (I know it isn't really, but just bare with me). You have the state border going right through at the Columbia. It's that way with KC. Part of KC is in Missouri and part is in Kansas. The border is the State Line Road which goes right through till it gets to the Missouri River which continues the border. Although, I don't really know much of the KC, Kansas scene, since it seems like most of action happens on the Missouri side to the East. So I guess KC, Kansas could be compared to our Vancouver, since not much really happens there either. Confused yet?

Sunday I decided to skip Forerunner church and get going on my road trip. Just stopped by the prayer room and had communion. Hey my kind of church. The thing I like about what these guys do is that's it's an everyday lifestyle, not a Sunday morning thing. But they do have a regular Sunday service for the interns, and it's a good way for everyone to gather to worship and hear the Word. But this weekend was rather a vacation for me, a way to get out from the usual.

I wanted to see what Kansas had to offer. And guess what? More flatlands. There are some scenic drives, but it was still winter, so it was mostly bare oaks and elms on the route I took. I decided to take the Civil War frontier byway. So I set out on a very foggy morning, having fun with the satellite radio, but trying to keep a close eye ahead, with what little I could see. I'd alternate from the black gospel station to a station reading Sufferings in Africa, an account of Captain Riley's journey through Morocco as a slave after being shipwrecked.

I spent the day checking out the La Cygne massacre site, the Mine Creek battlefield, and Fort Scott. There wasn't much to see. Just closed museums from Sunday, lots of driving on long rough roads and hiking through mushy grass. My favorite old army boots don't hold now and the only reward for my wet socks were information markers. You know, couldn't the Civil War people have left a broken cannon or two for us future spectators? When almost finishing the drive, I was a bit disappointed as I was yesterday. But often these trips do have some good, you just have to look for it a bit. The snow was mostly gone as I'd gone further South. Since Oklahoma actually wasn't that far down, I decided to go the whole way. There ended up being a great sunset right upon the time of crossing the border and I got some good pics that perhaps I should make into Okie tourist propaganda. It was already after 5 and so didn't feel like driving to Tulsa or doing Okie stuff, so I turned back.

So now was the long trip home at night. I decided to listen to Mike Bickle's message on Joseph and bearing the reproach. After seeing a bit of Charles Stanley on TV talk about on Joseph before I left, I figured there might be a theme in this for me. When driving long hours in darkness by yourself, I guess you end up having time with God, since there's no one else to talk to.

I decided after darkness had well set in, and it'd been a while since I saw a city or town, I'd stop and check out the night sky. The advantage of these roads especially for a photography freak is really you can stop anytime you want. I stopped at what seemed like a decent location by the side of the road. I step out of the car into the silent darkness and what I saw blew me away. Sweeping over me was the glorious midwestern starry sky on a clear night. I don't get to see this clear of a sky in the city, so the country sky still amazes me. The moon I believe was to the Northwest, hard to see near the horizon, the other way I could see Orion in all it's splendour. I might have seen stars all my life, but I'm still fascinated by them, and they put me in my place as David writes about in the Psalms.

I stayed out for a little while and worked on my night photography. Quite an experience. Darkness and silence at one moment then the next the rush of whatever cars would pass by. I'd enjoy the peace, and then hang on for dear life as a diesel roared by, then feeling the afterwind. Some might think I'm a bit crazy doing these kind of things, but I would say hey why not? Many have driven these kind of roads at night with thoughts of the destination, but have you stopped and wondered what the world might look like around you for the moment? Try stopping sometime and look at the stars. It's worth it.

Most of the trip afterwards was a similar dark drive, listening to Mike Bickle's message, and then some Misty and Audra Lynn CDs. I did manage to stop by another rest stop, that had great shots of the byway in the fog. After that I went home. Upon returning after a long trip through the outskirts of KC, I downed a Sonic sandwich, then sat in the prayer room for a while, where there was a great session with a lady leading that I wasn't familiar with. Some of the music they play here seems heavenly. I've heard it being compared to a small piece of heaven where every different people tribe gather to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord.

Well, now the rented car is returned. It was fun for a time. Back to walking to the prayer room, but at least with better weather. But hey at least I have a coffeemaker now.








No comments:

Post a Comment