Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Prophecy at IHOP

So today was an interesting day for me. First I came to what appeared at first to be a normal Worship with the Word session on Colossians 3. Then they got onto appearing with Christ in glory, and people started laughing and groaning. Then they sang prophetically about the husband and wife joined together, and how we're enjoying the new wine, and all chaos broke loose, basically like the awakening meeting, but in the prayer room, which is normally where people sit and read their Bibles or dink around on computers. Hey, who let one of the ballet dancers out of their little area? I also thought it was interesting that it was about 9 in the morning. I texted Pastor and said the prayer room has gone bonkers.

A few days ago I heard about how to email the prophetic team and so I thought what the heck I'll try it. I'd had prophetic ministry at IHOP three years ago, and have had enough experience with IHOP to know they're generally with it. So near the end of the session they brought me into a side room with a couple other guys. The ministry team here was four people. What are prophetic people supposed to look like anyway? Back when I was a kid I think they were supposed to look like old guys who talked in King James English. These guys weren't exactly like that, but they were an interesting group I'll say, a combination of ages and styles. A young guy, a young girl, an Asian lady who seemed maybe in her 40s, and an old guy with gray hair.

So we'd sit and pray a bit, and then what do you know, they all turn on me right away speaking right to my situations and then laying hands on me. They said essentially that I'm an overcomer of mountains and can be encouraged by how far I've come already, and that though I still have more mountains I can pave the way for others. More mountains? What the heck? Didn't you forget the part about how I'm gonna be a famous rock star and marry Arwen Evenstar? Hmm, I guess that'll wait. But yeah, they were pretty right on.

Afterwards I stayed for a couple sessions. One was the heavy metal intercession time, where they'd wail on the guitars and pray for revival. I felt perhaps I could raise rocker horns, but decided that that wasn't a holy manifestation. After that came Audra Lynn, which of course I had to stay for. Who could do without electronica worship? Of all the IHOP songwriters she's perhaps my favorite at least in terms of albums. Love the progressive rock of course, but also her songs helped me at desperate times for me personally, and helped me keep my sanity, along with Misty Edwards and Justin Rizzo. So yeah, awesome session.

You ever play a computer game that's so addicting that it's hard to put away? IHOP worship can be like that. I know it sounds strange. I normally rarely worship for that long. If you've never been to IHOP it's worth a trip. Those who have gone know what I'm talking about. It helps having great worship and music. Kind of imagine the best worship you've had in a while on Sunday or whenever and imagine that for hours on end. When one worship service ends another team comes with a different feel, and then something totally different and powerful happens. Yeah, you can leave no problem, but what happens next that we might miss? Of course it also helps that there's not much else to do out here. It might be a bit ghetto, but I am free from a lot of distractions here.

I can't say it's always perfect, sometimes a session can drag and I start falling asleep and then either go walk or stretch outside for a bit or just leave. Or if it's a nightwatch, then I'd go eat something or drink caffeine and sometimes talk to people chillin out in the foyer, who are often renewal junkies and computer nerds like me. I mean hey as much as I like acoustic folk music and singers that sound like hobbit bards, depending on who it is, it can be tough at two in the morning. But more often than not, sessions at IHOP are powerful. And of course this has got to be the most spiritual crowd I've ever seen. I mean I'd be just in the restroom and I hear someone worshipping or praying in the stall. I mean hey I'm glad they love Jesus, but um...yeah.

So after making myself go home and take a nap, I came to the Awakening service. I don't go to these as much, since the crazy jumping and high energy praise wears me out more than it used to. However I know good stuff happens at these meetings, and it is my last couple nights here so I checked it out. It was the usual meeting with crazy praise and lots of encounters. I stayed a bit longer than usual though. When they got to praying for healing, they started mentioning stuff I had like allergies and joint pain, and some things that others close to me had that I could pray for them for. These things seemed to apply to me more than the usual healing meetings I see. What is this, healing meetings tailored to Josh? No major testimonies so far, but I know my faith is being worked on. So there, faith as a mustard seed is better than having to see, right? Well okay, I would like to see right away, but hey, it's a start.

Well, two more days till I leave. Better make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment